This Hispanic Culture Page is divided into 3 sections, Lesson Plans, PowerPoints & Worksheets, all containing specific resources for teaching Hispanic Culture. Each resource is categorized as elementary, middle or high (School).
Teachers please feel free to use these Spanish teaching resources, but we ask that you respect the copyright and footer information of all of them.
Hispanic Culture, Countries & Nationalities Lesson Plans & Activities:
- “Spanish Speaking Family Lesson Plan“ (elementary/middle school) activity for identifying Spanish speaking countries. Learn about families in different Spanish speaking countries, their similarities and differences. (Click on tabs on the right and above)
- Cultural Holidays (elementary/middle school) fun creative lesson plan to contrast and compare different Hispanic cultural holidays.
- “Baila” (middle/high school) research, learn and share knowledge of Hispanic Culture through Latin dances.
- Spanish Language & Culture With Baleros (middle school) Kids learn about the Spanish culture and language while they play and have fun with baleros.
- “A Tribute To Miró” (middle/high school) students learn about an Spanish painter, his style, culture and surroundings by creating their own painting.
- “Guantanamera” (high school) listen, analyze and discuss the Spanish song “Guantanamera”.
- Mexican Artists (high school) learn about Mexican revolution and 5 artists of the time.
- Una Comida Mexicana (middle school) learn about food in Mexico.
- Hispanic Culture Lesson Plan (high school) students will make a Powerpoint presentation of a Spanish speaking country, history, art, literature and culture.
- Mexican Day of the Dead Project (middle/high school) project guidelines for recreating the day of the dead with the students.
- Lesson Plan Spanish Speaking Culture Christmas – La Navidad Spanish4Teachers.org (middle/high school) a project about Christmas in Spanish speaking countries – La Navidad -. Students should research online, answer questions, contrast and compare and finally create a Pesebre.
- Spanish Idioms Lesson plan on how to use Spanish idioms effectively and spontaneously.
- Lesson Plan ‘Viajemos a ESPAÑA” (high school) interesting and engaging lesson plan in which students use the internet to take a virtual trip to Spain.
- Lesson Plan “Famosos del Mundo Hispano” (high school) great lesson plan to learn about some famous Spanish speakers and practice nationalities and professions. It provides all the materials needed.
- Spanish Teaching Song La Bamba teach Spanish pronunciation, vocab and accents with La Bamba. Includes the lesson plan, oral quiz and activities.
- Comparing Picasso and Dali Spanish research activity to compare the Spanish artists.
- Famous Hispanics Project project to complete a biography magazine of famous Spanish speakers. Includes handout.
- National Hispanic Heritage Month Lesson Plans the National Education Association put together these lesson plans to celebrate culture and create culture awareness. Lesson plans categorized by grades K-5, 6-8, 9-12.
- Spanish Culture Trivia a set of cards to play trivia about the Spanish (Spain) culture.
- Spanish Culture Lesson Plan complete lesson plan to study, explore and learn about the Spanish (Spain) culture.
- Spanish Culture Unit Plan complete unit plan based on social/cultural awareness of the Spanish culture. Activities to understand certain Spanish customs and avoid possible misunderstandings.
Hispanic Culture, Countries & Nationalities PowerPoints:
- Los Paises, Las Capitales Y Los Continentes Spanish4Teachers.org (middle school) Presentation of the Spanish speaking countries, their capitals and the continents they belong to.
- El Mundo Hispano (middle school) the Spanish speaking world, countries and flags.
- Cultura Hispana (Hispanic Culture) Presentation (middle/high school) detailed presentation about the Spanish speaking countries. Including location, map, flag and important details about each one.
Hispanic Culture, Countries & Nationalities Worksheets and Handouts:
- Worksheet Spanish La Navidad For Kids Spanish4Teachers.org (elementary) Color and match a picture of a Christmas tree and other Spanish Christmas words.
- Nacionalidades Hispanas Spanish4Teachers.org (middle school). Fill in the chart with the nationality that corresponds to each country for masculine, feminine, singular and plural.
- Worksheet Paises y Nacionalidades Hispanohablantes Spanish4Teachers.org (high school) detailed worksheet, could be used as a quiz or even a test. Contains questions about the Spanish speaking countries and their location. Famous Spanish speakers and questions about them.
- Hispanic Countries Flags _ Bandereas Paises Hispanohablantes Spanish4Teachers.org printable posters of the Spanish speaking countries’ flags (size A4) ——————————>
- Hispanic food lesson plan web–search lesson plan to learn about Hispanic food.
- Spanish songs and worksheets (middle/high school) a collection of songs in Spanish with worksheets to practice vocab, grammar and culture.
- Hispanic Culture Projects Booklet (middle/high school) booklet with many Spanish culture projects and rubric.
- Printable South America Map blank South America map to practice, learn or quiz about the South American Spanish speaking countries.
Other Hispanic Culture Resources:
- La Navidad website that talks about La Navidad and the Spanish (Spain) traditions.
- La Cultura Mexicana Website in English with tons of articles, videos, images about the Mexican culture.
- Hispanic Culture Online website in Spanish with Spanish speaking events, news and culture in Boston.
- Resources to Teach La Navidad (elementary/middle school) a website with stories, books, games, drawings, sayings and more to celebrate Navidad.
- Latin Culture Resources excellent website with many different resources to teach about the Latin – Hispanic Culture. Cinema, literature, music, biographies, recipes.
- A “Simple Booklet” about The Spanish Empire a booklet about The Spanish Empire created by Spanish students. Good resource to learn more about the Spanish culture. Nice tool to introduce technology to the classroom.
- A collection of Spanish / Hispanic riddles _ Adivinanzas en español a big collection of Hispanic riddles. The answers to the riddles are in parenthesis and written backwards.
- Spanish TV Online online Spanish TV. Soap Operas, comedies, sitcoms and more.
- News Videos In Spanish news from Spain about the economy, the world, culture and more. Includes videos.
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage biographies, in English, of 6 amazing Hispanic people. Click on each name next to the little round picture to be taken to each biography.
- Todo tango – Carlos Gardel great website to plan a virtual field trip to the land of Carlos Gardel and his tango.
- Spanish Language and Culture Hispanic culture resources. Interactive explanation, exercises, pictures, activities and more.
- Todo Sobre España website with information about Spain and its culture. Cities, regions, flamenco, food. Could also be used with the travel unit, as it gives prices and itineraries for trips around Spain.
- Frida Kahlo Brain Pop a short video in Spanish talking about Frida Kahlo and important fact and events surrounding her life. At the end, the video offers comprehension activities.
- Simon Bolivar Brain Pop short brain-pop video Spanish talking about Simon Bolivar. It offers oral comprehension activities and further research.
- Mexican Revolution Brain Pop short video in Spanish explaining the Mexican revolution. Comprehension activities and more information and research are offered.
- Spanish Culture Clips an awesome collection of Hispanic culture authentic documentary clips and promotional videos. Clips are about Hispanic countries, food, people, festivals. Videos are accompanied by immediate-answer quizzes to self check listening comprehension.
- Spanish Sayings printable Spanish sayings cards (dichos). “Feliz como una lombriz”, Más agusto que un arbusto”…
- El Refranario insert a saying in Spanish and the tool will give you the meaning, an example, synonyms and translations.
- Culture Documentaries (Documentales culturales) a collection of complete culture documentaries in Spanish.
- Documentaries in Spanish many documentaries in Spanish. Different topics.
- Cultura y Tradiciones de Puerto Rico an article in Spanish about the Puerto Rican culture.
- Day of Dead vs Halloween printable chart comparing Halloween and the Day of the Dead (Día de los muertos).
- An adventure in Costa Rica a great video all about Costa Rica, its customs and culture. – Contributed by Ester Ulate!
- La biblioteca de Gabo a Thinglink interactive compilation of Gabo’s books created by the Colomnian newspaper El Tiempo.
- El Comercio ThingLink a collection of interactive images created by the Peruvian newspaper El Comercio.
Spanish, Hispanic and Latin Culture #AuthRes – Authentic Resources:
Authentic Hispanic Materials
- Mapas interactivos a collection of interactive maps in Spanish and of Spanish speaking countries.
- Mind Maps in Spanish a great collection of mind maps in Spanish. They include different Spanish/Hispanic topics such as countries, football, the pope, etc.
- Visit Mexico a travel site dedicated to Mexico. All about Mexican cities, towns and culture. Short articles and information. Great for Mexican culture projects, creating itineraries, travel plans or webquests.
- Colombia travel spectacular travel website dedicated to Colombia. Find all sorts of information about cities, towns, food, festivals, art, folk, maps and more. Beautiful pictures and videos available. Excellent resource for learning about the Colombian culture and including it in your Spanish lessons to research, create projects, etc.
- Las 50 mejores canciones latinas, según Billboard compilation of the most popular songs by Spanish speaking musicians. Videos included.
Authentic Hispanic Music
- La Tierra del Olvido – amazing song/video of this typical Colombian song. Video shows famous Colombian artists, destination places, regions, geography, food and culture! Excellent to base a project/webquest on! These are the activities I created around this video: Colombia – Hispanic culture unit plan activities (high school).
Authentic Hispanic Dances
- Excellent short Flamenco video (Spain)
- History of the Argentinian Tango