This IB Spanish Ab Initio Resources Page provides material to teach and practice the Spanish Ab initio course and to prepare students for the second year
exam. There are resources for the four assessments: Paper 1, Paper 2, Written Assignment & Oral Assessment (IA).
Teachers please feel free to use these Spanish teaching resources, but we ask that you respect the copyright and footer information of all of them.
- ATLs Poster in Spanish IB DP Approaches to Learning poster in Spanish. Here is how to print full size posters for your classroom.
IB Spanish AB-Initio Paper 1 Resources:
- Interview With Juanes Spanish Ab Initio Paper 1 Text Spanish4Teachers.org Reading comprehension based on an interview done to the Colombian singer Juanes. Recommended use for second year students. Includes answers.
- True / False Reading Comprehension Recipe Spanish4Teachers.org Reading comprehension based on Gazpacho recipe. True / false questions. Answers must be justified according to the text. Includes answers.
IB Spanish AB-Initio Paper 2 Resources:
- Los Quehaceres Domesticos Ab Initio Paper 2 A Spanish4Teachers.org A friend has sent you an email talking about his house chores. Read his message and answer his email according to the guidelines.
- Spanish AB Initio Paper 2 Section A_Physical Descriptions and Personality Letter Spanish4Teachers.org Write a letter describing yourself and describing what type of people you would like to correspond with.
- Spanish AB Initio Paper 2 Section A_Travel Postcard Spanish4Teachers.org Write a postcard from a beach city describing the city and what you have done.
- AB Initio Paper 2 Section A_email Spanish4Teachers.org Write an email declining an invitation.
- Español AB Initio Paper 2 Section A_Diary Entry Spanish4Teachers.org Write an diary entry talking about your university application.
- Español AB Initio Paper 2 Section A_Note Spanish4Teachers.org Write a note inviting a friend to a football game.
- Spanish Ab Initio Paper 2 Sectio A_Ad_Anuncio Spanish4Teachers.org Write an ad selling some things you no longer need.
- Paper 2 Section B Spanish Ab Initio_ Informal Letter Spanish4Teachers.org Write a letter to your parents telling them about your trip.
IB Spanish Ab-Initio Internal Assessment (IA) Photos and Resources:
- Ab Initio Image Clean City – La Ciudad Limpia spanish4teachers.org this photo can be used while on the unit “La Ciudad y Sus Servicios”. It represents a common and lively street in a city. Students can describe the surroundings, colors, people, stores, weather, and more.
- Ab Initio Image Fish Store – La Pescadería spanish4teachers.org the photo could be used on the unit “Comida y Bebida“. It is an open air fish shop in which students can describe the surroundings, colors, people, nationalities, and more.
- Spanish Image: The Market – El Mercado spanish4teachers.org this image works well with the units “La Ciudad y Sus Servicios” and “Comida y Bebida”. It is a typical market in a Spanish speaking country.
- Oral Assessment Image: Music Class – La Clase de Musica spanish4teachers.org A music class in primary is represented by these picture. Excellent for the unit “Educación y Trabajo”. Students can describe the location, the students, the uniforms, which grade they could be in, how many boys, how many girls, etc.
- Spanish Assessment Image: A Picture Near the Water spanish4teachers.org A picture that shows tourism, hobbies, water, a family, scenery. Good for the unit “Ocio y Viajes”.
- Image: A Portrait on the Go spanish4teachers.org this image is also a good resource for the unit “Ocio y Viajes”. It shows a portrait being painted on the street while others watch the artist do his work.
- Photo of a Boat Trip spanish4teachers.org a picture of a boat trip with a group of students. Perfect for the unit “Ocio y Viajes”.
- Street Vendors Image (Vendedores Ambulantes) spanish4teachers.org an image of a street where street vendor are selling produce. There are also pedestrians, a bus going by, bill-boards, etc. Great for the Spanish AB Initio unit “La Ciudad y sus Servicios“ (City and its Services).
- IB Spanish Oral Assessment Image: A Football Game spanish4teachers.org a picture of a football game in which students and teachers are participating. It could be used with the unit “Educación y Trabajo” as it shows an extracurricular activity or with the unit “Ocio y Viajes”.
- IB Spanish Ab Initio Oral Assessment Image: Street Musicians spanish4teachers.org an image of a group of musicians performing on a street. Different instruments are being used. Clothes and styles could be described. Passing viewers are taking pictures. It could be used with the unit “Educación y Trabajo” or with the unit “Ocio y Viajes”.
- IB Spanish Ab Initio Image: Pedestrian Street spanish4teachers.org a photo showing a busy pedestrian street with different kinds of people. Street vendors are shown on the sides. Buildings, surrounding objects such as trees, and the weather can be described. It could be used with the unit “Ocio y Viajes”.
- IB Spanish Oral Assessment Photo: Band Class spanish4teachers.org a photo showing a band class outdoors. Could be used with the unit “Educación y Trabajo”. The musicians can be described, as well as instruments, scenery, people watching, weather, etc.
- IB Spanish Photo: Bull Fight – Corrida de Toros spanish4teachers.org an image showing the running of the bulls in Pamplona-Spain. Could be used with the unit “Ocio y Viajes“.
- Ab Initio Image: Leisure and Travel spanish4teachers.org a photo in the summer of tourists walking trough a pedestrian street packed with vendors and other activities.
- Internal Assessment Image_Fruit Stand spanish4teachers.org an image of a fruit stand and people on the background. Unit city and services.
- Crossing the road Oral Assessment Image spanish4teachers.org a photo of people crossing a street. Unit city and services (la ciudad y sus servicios).
IB Spanish Ab-Initio Authentic Texts and Materials:
* IB Spanish Ab Initio topic – Individual and Society
- Top 10 costumbres españolas List – explaining the most common and typical Spanish customs.
- Un día en la vida de una estudiante mexicana Presentation/Slides – images and short explanation of a Mexican little girl’s daily routine (click “siguiente” on the top right corner of the slide to continue).
- Los hábitos alimenticios de la población española Infographic in Spanish about the most common eating habits in Spain. It also gives tips on how to eat better (created by @fradiex).
* IB Spanish Ab Initio topic – Leisure and Work
– Spanish Ab Initio Subtopic – Entertainment (Entretenimiento)
- Celia, la vida y la magia de la guarachera en TV Article – talking about a TV show based on this famous Cuban singer’s life.
– Spanish Ab Initio Subtopic – Media (Medios de Comunicación)
- Las mujeres cuidan más el planeta y los hombres se ocipan más de la masculinidad Article and images – with controversial statements of why women are more careful with the planet than men.
* IB Spanish Ab Initio topic – Urban and Rural Environment
– Spanish Ab Initio Subtopic – Weather (Tiempo metereológico)
- ¿Qué hacer en caso de huracán? Video – about steps and measures to take when there is a tornado warning (many Spanish imperatives used in this video).
– Spanish Ab Initio Subtopic – Environmental concerns (Cuestiones medioambientales)
- 5 pasos sencillos para reducir tus residuos Infographic – simple but sweet infographic sharing 5 simple ways to recycle (go to page 25 with your keyboard arrows).
IB Spanish Ab-Initio Authentic Videos and Songs:
* IB Spanish Ab Initio topic – Urban and Rural Environment
El Reciclaje en de basura en Montevideo
(Recycling in Montevideo)